Shippen Manor 
Shippen Manor was built circa 1766 by William Shippen, the owner of a 400-acre iron producing business which was located on the land surrounding the manor. The iron furnace, known as Oxford Furnace, was located about a hundred yards south of
Shippen Manor. It still stands today at the corner of Washington Ave. and Cinder St., and is the state's oldest surviving iron furnace. It is possible that cannon balls may have been produced here for the Continental (American) Army.
William Shippen was a physician from a wealthy Philadelphia family. William's oldest son Joseph lived in Shippen Manor and ran the surrounding iron plantation from it. Both men played a role in the Revolutionary War. William was a Pennsylvania delegate to the Continental Congress in 1779-1780; Joseph served as a paymaster at the Bethlehem Army Hospital during the war. Another of William's sons, William Jr., served as the Director General of Hospitals of the Continental Army from 1777-1781. 
One member of the extended Shippen family had a less celebrated role in the Revolutionary War. William Shippen's grandniece was Peggy Shippen, who married Benedict Arnold and was involved in his treason. There is no evidence that Peggy or Benedict were ever at Shippen Manor, although it is possible, given the family connection.
Visit Shippen Manor to learn more.
For information, see the Warren County Cultural & Heritage Commission website.