1. ^ 1748 date from the website of the Oakland Historical Society.
2. ^ George Washington to Continental Congress, July 14, 1777, Marked "Vanaulens [Van Allen's], 8 Miles from Pumpton Plains, July 14, 1777"
▸ A scan of the original letter can be viewed at the Library of Congress website here.
• Another document exists from Washington's stay at the Hendrick Van Allen House - his General Orders for July 14, 1777, which are marked "Head Quarters, at Van Aulen's, July 14, 1777."
▸ A scan of the original document can be viewed at the Library of Congress website here
3. ^ Washington's letters from July 15 - 20, 1777 are marked as some variation of "Clove" or "Head-Quarters, at the Clove".
Beginning on July 21, his letters are marked "Eleven Miles in the Clove" and in a July 21 letter to Major General Putnam, he mentions
having moved from the original location the day before.
▸ Some letters from this period are reprinted in:
George Washington; Edited by Jared Sparks, The Writings of George Washington Volume 4 (Boston: Russel, Odiorne and Metcalf; and Hilliard, Gray, and Co., 1834) p. 493 - 505 Available to be read at Google Books here
• A boulder plaque at the intersection of Washington and Lafayette Avenues in Suffern, New York reads:
Site of Suffern's Tavern
A noted Hostelry of the Revolution
Headquarters of General George Washington
July 15th to 20th, 1777
The plaque was erected by the Rockland County Society on October
4. ^ For more about the use of Hendrick Allen's house as the courthouse, and the Revolutionary War events that factored into it, see:
Kevin Heffernan, A History of Oakland: The Story of Our Village (Charleston: The History Press, 2007 ) page 37-38
Available to be read at Google Books here
5. ^ Bergen County Historical Society sign