1. ^ No 31. Inventory of sundry Articles taken from Ebenezer Stiles by the Continental Army, which was part of 'A Copie [sic] of the Inventories of such Property as has been damaged or destroyed by the Continental Army & Militia in the County of Morris, together with the Appraisements thereof done agreeable to an Act of the General Assembly of the State of New Jersey passed at Trenton, December 20, 1781.' as reprinted in:
Andrew M. Sherman Historic Morristown New Jersey: The Story of its First Century (Morristown NJ: The Howard Publishing Company, 1905) p. 392
• The book is available to be read at Google Books here
• The inventory of Ebenezer Stiles as shown in the book is a bit confusing in terms of the exact dates. It appears to imply that the quartering began on February 4, but since it's hard to know that for certain, I left it as "early 1780" in the main entry above.
2. ^ David Mitros, Editor, Historic Sites of Morris County, New Jersey (Morris County Heritage Commission, 1996) p.26
3. ^ Dates and burial location from Stiles family grave monument in Morristown First Presbyterian Church Cemetery.