The first church at this location was founded by Dutch Settlers in 1699. Services were held in Dutch until 1764, when Benjamin Dubois became the church's first American-born pastor.  A History of Monmouth County written in the 1920's contains this colorful description of him: " 'Dominie' DuBois as he was called, began ministry in this church in 1764, and continued through all the period of the Revolutionary War, and afterwards. He frequently showed that could fight as well as preach, and on occasions shouldered his musket and knapsack, and joined the local militia, in resisting the frequent and unexpected forays of the invading enemy. He was so eager to do his part, that he could not be kept in line, and a different arrangement of the troops had sometimes to be made, for the safety of the 'fighting parson,' in an endeavor to keep him from too great an exposure on the firing line."  Dubois is buried in the church's cemetery. (Shown above left).
There is a least one other Revolutionary War soldier buried in the cemetery - Garrett Wyckoff, who died May 10, 1850, aged 91.(Shown above right). 
Revolutionary War New Jersey
The ultimate field guide to New Jersey's Revolutionary War historic sites!
Marlboro New Jersey Revolutionary War Sites • Marlboro New Jersey Historic Sites
Old Brick Reformed Church Cemetery