1. ^ William Winfield Scott, History of Passaic and its Environs, Volume II (New York Lewis: Historical Publishing Company Inc 1922) p. 744-748 Available to be read at Google Books here.
• For those looking for more information on the events surrounding the British crossing at Post Ford, Scott gives a detailed account. He does not list any primary source documents that he used, but he does mention, "Halmagh M. Post, an aged man who was born and always lived in the city of Passaic, related to the writer [Scott, referring to himself] thirty years ago, the following traditions relating to Dr. Garrison. He stated that he remembered his wife's grandmother relate the incidents that occurred under her own observation. She was a Garrison and resided on the Wesel road in what is now Clifton. She remembered the time when the British crossed the Passaic river at the fording place below the present Dundee dam. She was at the home of Dr. Garrison when the British came. His office was a small extension at the road end of his dwelling."
2. ^ Howard D. Lanza Garfield (from the Images of America series) (Charleston SC; Arcadia Publishing 2002) p.66
• It is interesting to note that it appears the monument was supposed to be called Post's Ford Monument, not Post Ford.
You can view the page in Lanza's book about the monument in Google Books here, and see that he reprints a sketch that was made by Francis L. Fuscaldo and sent to John Poltorak, who helped design the monument. In two places on the sketch, it is referred to as "Post's Ford." This would have made it clear that it referred to a ford that was on the land owned by Post, and would have made more sense as the name.
My guess is that
the name being printed on the sign as "Post Ford" (without the apostrophe and the s) was actually a mistake, and then that name stuck, rather than re-doing the sign with the originally intended name.
When considering this theory, it is worth noting that the sign does contain one definite mistake: the word 'frequently' is misspelled.
• The bottom right corner of the plaque contains the credit that is was created by a company called Supreme Welding.
3. ^ The tablet states that it was "placed by the school children of Garfield under the auspices of the Garfield Board of Trade 1928."
4. ^ Continental Congress, Saturday, March 28, 1778:
Roscoe R. Hill, Editor, Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, Volume X. January 1 - May 1, 1778 (Washington D.C. : Government Printing Office, 1908) page 290
Available to be read at the Internet Archive here
5. ^ Sculptor credit from the signature on the statue.
The About page of Brian Hanlon's website states that he is from Toms River, NJ.
6. ^ The following two June 2014 articles are about the opening of the park where the statue was unveiled:
• Matthew McGrath, "Riverfront Park officially opens in Garfield on Saturday," The Record, June 20, 2014
• John Czop, "A City of Garfield Unveils Statue," Post Eagle, July 22, 2014
7. ^ Congressional Record: Senate: Vol. 155, Part 5 (Washington D.C. : Government Printing Office, 2009) pages 6153 - 6154
Available to be read at Google Books here
8. ^ The other five people granted Honorary United States Citizenship are: Winston Churchill, Raoul Wallenberg, William and Hannah Callowhill Penn, and Mother Theresa. Only Churchill and Mother Theresa received the Honorary Citizenship while they were alive. All others received it posthumously.
See the document:
U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 7 – Consular Affairs / HONORARY CITIZENSHIP, which is available to be read on the U.S. State Department website here
▸ Note that Pulaski and de Gálvez are not listed in this document, because it was published in 2008, before either had been granted the honor.
• Pulaski was granted Honorary Citizenship in 2009 (See Source Note 7)
• Bernardo de Gálvez was granted Honorary Citizenship in 2014 (See H.J.Res.105 - Conferring honorary citizenship of the United States on Bernardo de Gálvez at the Library of Congress website here)