Chatham Township, New Jersey Revolutionary War Sites
HOME                 TIMELINE                 ABOUT                 CONTACT
This website, its text and photographs are © 2009 - 2017 Al Frazza. All rights reserved.

Atlantic County     Bergen County     Burlington County     Camden County     Cape May County     Cumberland County     Essex County
Gloucester County     Hudson County     Hunterdon County     Mercer County     Middlesex County     Monmouth County     Morris County
Ocean County     Passaic County     Salem County     Somerset County     Sussex County     Union County     Warren County

REVOLUTIONARY WAR SITES IN CHATHAM TOWNSHIP, NEW JERSEY

Revolutionary War in Chatham Township New Jersey
LEWIS NOE FARMSTEAD
Lewis Noe Homestead - Chatham Township
Lewis Noe Homestead - Chatham Township
Lewis Noe Farmstead
184 Southern Blvd.
(Private Home)
Click here for Map / Directions

This house is a private residence.
Please respect the privacy and property of the owners.

This was the home of Lewis Noe, who served as a Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War.. Noe, a French Huguenot, built the home circa 1770. He was with the American army during the Valley Forge encampment of winter 1777 -1778. Noe's father served as a fifer in the same Morris County regiment as his son. [1]

In early 2012, a historical marker was installed in front of the house that reads, "While Lewis was serving with General Washington's army at Valley Forge, PA., Hessian soldiers foraging for food during a blizzard, stayed here overnight. As Phoebe Brant spoke German, they took only a few chickens, sparing her family from starvation." [2]

A video and article about the installation of the historic marker can be seen here.

Chatham Township in the Revolutionary War
LORD STERLING / ELIAS BOUDINOT HOUSE
Elias Boudinot Home

Lord Sterling / Elias Boudinot Home
461 Green Village Rd.
(Private Home)
Click here for Map / Directions

This house is a private residence.
Please respect the privacy and property of the owners.

This house, built circa l760, stands on land which once belonged to General William Alexander (Lord Sterling).  It is likely that he never lived in this house himself, and that it was built for a tenant responsible for protecting the property. Lord Sterling sold the property in the 1780's, and it passed through several owners, including Elias Boudinot.[3]  Boudinot served in the Second Continental Congress; in November 1782, he was elected to a one-year term as President of the Continental Congress.

The house does not have any historic markers.

 

Source Notes:

1. ^ Information for the Noe Homestead drawn from two articles in the Chatham Patch: July 5, 2011, and January 18, 2012. The articles themselves are based on information from Caroline Knott and the Historical Society of the Township of Chatham.

2. ^ Historic marker, erected 2011, Chatham Township Historical Society

3. ^ Morris County Master Plan - Historic Preservation Element - March 1976. Page 128, available online here.

 

Website Researched, Written, Photographed and Designed by Al Frazza
This website, its text and photographs are © 2009 -2017 Al Frazza. All rights reserved.